"We Don't Need Your Sympathy, We Need You to Learn."
In this episode, the team discusses their experiences in Faribault schools and their ideas about what changes need to occur to make schools a more supportive place for Somali students. FYI, the first person you hear on the episode is Amina, followed by Nima, Hamdi, and Asha. Fosay comes in around 24:00. Northfield is a town/school district that’s about 14 miles away from Faribault (and where Carleton College is located).
- CAST: a program for Faribault High School students aimed at supporting them through the college application process and other post high school goals
- AVID: a national program whose mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- ALC [Area Learning Center]
- English Learner programs in Faribault (ESL [English as a Second Language])
- Abubakar As-Saddique Islamic Center
- Demographic and graduation data for Faribault School District